Sunday, September 30, 2007

Quite the pair

Although this book is 118 pages, I believe in quality over quantity, and that is something I am definitely getting after having started to read Of Mice and Men. The book opens with beautiful descriptors of the Californian countryside, labeling rabbits as "little gray, sculptured stones." Having no background information of this book, I was quite delighted by the protagonists of the book the author created. George, a small but sharp witted man travels with Lennie, a giant of a man but intellectually flawed. Their destination and purpose are revealed through their dialogue as George reminds the forgetful Lennie of their course of action, which I think is more interesting than a plain narration.

As the duo meet new supporting characters and antagonists at their workplace, a ranch, I can plainly see why this book was banned or challenged. There is a stable buck of a different race at the ranch, and the rest of the workers blatantly call out to him rudely in a racial slur. In addition to the verbal abuse, they belittle him by treating him lower than everybody else instead of as equals.

Although nowadays it is a cliche, Lennie has a particular interest in small animals and loves petting them, making him a "gentle giant." Sometimes, apparently, he is not gentle enough, as he kills the animal by petting it too hard. His uncontrolled strength can be seen as a foreshadowing of upcoming events to come at the ranch.

No comments: